A sensitive position requires a fingerprint-based criminal history Check.
Campus Security Authority
Campus Security Authority Statement
This position is designated as a Campus Security Authority. A Campus Security Authority (or CSA) is defined as an “official of the institution with significant responsibility for student and campus activities”. A CSA is required to immediately report any crime that is reported to them to the University Police who will then review, evaluate, and investigate the reported crime. Annual training is required by the Department of Education for all personnel who have been designated as a Campus Security Authority.
Designated Personnel Statement
This position is a “designated position” meaning this position could potentially be required to work (depending on the event) during an emergency closing.
Statement of Economic Interest
Statement of Economic Interest Statement
Internal Auditors are required to file conflict of interest.
Restricted Position Statement
A restricted position would be subject to availability of funding.
Chief Objective of Position
The senior auditor position is responsible for the performance of financial, compliance, and operational audits of campus organizations and departments for the purpose of improving internal controls and adding value to the operations of the University. In addition, this position may assist in the performance of audits to evaluate the security, integrity, contingency planning, policy and regulatory compliance, and risk management of the administrative and academic Information Systems of the University. The auditor is to identify critical audit issues and develop and carry out an effective audit program within the time budget which results in meaningful management recommendations. The position requires the ability to use excellent oral and written communication skills to evaluate evidence and write accurate, concise work paper documentation and audit reports. The candidate must have the integrity to maintain confidentiality. The senior auditor will determine the scope of work performed, nature of testing completed and the reporting disposition of results in conjunction with the Internal Audit Director.
1. In consultation with the Director, ensures proper audit planning and performs the audit work in accordance with IIA and other applicable standards. Develops an understanding of internal control concepts and assesses the adequacy of management’s controls. Prepares documentation to be placed in the work papers to support the planning phase of the audit.
2. In consultation with the Director, writes the audit program that identifies the objectives to be accomplished and the specific procedures to be carried out to accomplish the objectives based on control analyses and the documented understanding of the system. Performs additional research as needed to analyze and determine significant audit issues or risks for follow-up and inclusion in the audit program.
3. Performs audit test work set forth in the audit program. Documents all analysis of evidential matters in accordance with department and professional standards to support testing and conclusions.
4. Identifies potential audit findings/business issues and prepares written summaries documenting these audit observations and recommending corrective action for University management. Writes draft audit reports with minimal guidance and in accordance with department standards and format. Contributes to the development of the audit report using clear, concise language and participates in the exit conference with management. Assist in determining that adequate corrective action on reported audit findings is timely taken and is achieving the desired results.
5. Proactively communicates audit issues and progress with the Director and proposes solutions to issues communicated.
6. Works professionally with the University community and maintains a technical base of knowledge, staying current on industry practices. Meet or exceed IIA standards for all audit work performed. Demonstrate a willingness to develop new skills and learn new methodologies.
7. Develops a customer service approach to more effectively promote the “students first” initiative ensuring that all constituents are served in a fast, friendly, efficient and effective manner. Develops and maintains very positive and professional customer service and/or relations within the office/department and with all constituencies to include students, faculty, staff, guests, and employees. Demonstrates a positive and professional attitude and treats everyone with dignity and respect. Fully supports CNU Traditions and the “Students First” value at CNU and routinely goes the extra mile in providing service.
8. Safety issues are reviewed and communicated and goals are set to ensure a safe and healthy workplace and a reduction in work related absences. Any violation of safety rules are addressed promptly.
9. This position is designated as a “responsible employee” who has the authority to redress sexual violence, who has the duty to report incidents of sexual violence or other student misconduct, or who a student could reasonably believe has this authority or duty.
10. Performs special project work and other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSA's) required
In-depth knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and practices, audit standards, and good business processes. Demonstrates effective project management skills which promote productivity and completion of audit project within time budgets and deadlines. Demonstrated ability to conduct a variety of audits with considerable independence. Ability to effectively collect and analyze data, draw conclusions and develop recommendations; demonstrated logic and reasoning ability necessary to perform analysis of information obtained during the audit; exhibit high degree of organizational skills and attention to detail; demonstrated use of effective problem solving skills; ability to comprehend and interpret policies, procedures, laws, regulations and guidelines; ability to identify areas of audit concern and demonstration of initiative and creativity in developing audit objective and procedures; ability to communicate, both written and verbal, clearly and effectively; ability to maintain confidentiality; strong computer skills; demonstrated ability to work independently and manage time effectively utilizing work and project plans to meet deadlines; excellent customer service skills. Possess a high energy level and strong work ethic with a commitment to continuous improvement in a dynamic environment that strives to exceed expectations.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSA's) preferred
Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of how technology supports the achievement of University objectives with special emphasis on automated and preventive controls to ensure the Enterprise system and other sensitive information processing systems meet operational compliance to policy and procedures, and mitigate risks. Knowledge of Institute of Internal Auditing (IIA) standards.
Master’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, Management, Computer Science, MIS, or other relevant field, or a Bachelor’s Degree in related field plus experience that equates to an advanced degree.
Certification as a CPA, CIA, CISA or CISSP or active pursuit of certification.
Internal or external auditing experience. Experience in accounting and accounting systems or an enterprise system. Demonstrated experience using spreadsheet and word processing software.
Previous experience auditing information technology systems/departments. Experience with Banner enterprise system. Previous experience working in higher education or state/local government. Experience in Microsoft Office to include Word and Excel. Experience using automated workpapers.
Selected by The Princeton Review to be included in The 384 Best Colleges: 2019 Edition, Christopher Newport University is a public school offering a private school experience — great teaching, small classes, and a safe, vibrant campus. A “student-first, teaching-first” community, CNU is dedicated to the ideals of scholarship, leadership and service. The University is located in Newport News, Virginia and enrolls 5,100 students. Academic programs at CNU encompass more than 90 areas of study, from biology to business administration and political science to the performing arts. The University has recently completed over $1 billion in capital construction on its 260-acre campus, generated over 7,500 applications for a freshmen class of 1,230 and has been ranked by U.S. News & World Report’s America’s Best Colleges guide as fourth among public regional universities in the South and 10th among all regional universities in the South. In addition, CNU is ranked third among all public schools for having "the highest proportion of classes with fewer than 20 students.” Christopher Newport University is committed to ensuring that all people are welcomed, honored and fully engaged in the life of our academic community. We seek exceptional and diverse candidates and encourage applications from individuals who are underrepresented in their profession. For further details and information about Christopher Newport, visit www.cnu.edu.
Posting Detail Information
Number of Vacancies
Interested parties are requested to submit a cover letter; current resume; and the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three professional references at the time of application. Review of applications will begin August 6, 2019. Applications received after August 6, 2019, will be accepted but considered only if needed. Search finalists are required to complete a CNU sponsored background check.
Christopher Newport University, an EO Employer, is fully Committed to Access and Opportunity.
About Christopher Newport University
Selected by The Princeton Review to be included in The 381 Best Colleges: 2017 Edition, Christopher Newport University is a public school offering a private school experience -- great teaching, small classes, and a safe, vibrant campus. A “student-first, teaching-first” community, CNU is dedicated to the ideals of scholarship, leadership and service. The University is located in Newport News, Virginia and enrolls 5,100 students. Academic programs at CNU encompass more than 90 areas of study, from biology to business administration and political science to the performing arts. The University has recently completed over $1 billion in capital construction on its 260-acre campus, generated nearly 8,000 applications for a freshmen class of 1,200 and has been ranked by U.S. News & World Report’s America’s Best Colleges guide as fifth among public regional universities in the South and 14th among all regional universities in the South. In addition, CNU is ranked third among all public schools for having "the highest proportion of classes with fewer than 20 students.” Christopher Newport University is committed to ensuring that all people are welcomed, honored and fully engaged in the lif...e of our academic community. We seek exceptional and diverse candidates and encourage applications from individuals who are underrepresented in their profession. For further details and information about Christopher Newport, visit www.cnu.edu.