Founded in 1883, Jacksonville State University is a learning-centered university in Jacksonville, Ala., whose mission is to provide distinctive educational, cultural and social experiences for a diverse student population.
Located in the Appalachian foothills of northeast Alabama, almost midway between Birmingham and Atlanta, JSU is home to more than 8,500 students representing 61 countries. As a learning-centered university, it strives to challenge students academically in a responsive environment, meeting their educational, career and personal goals. As an academic institution, it seeks to produce broadly educated graduates prepared for global engagement. As a public, comprehensive university, it promotes excellence in scholarly and service activities consistent with its academic and professional strengths. For a complete list of Goals, Core Values and Strategies to fulfill this Mission, go to www.jsu.edu/president/vision_mission.html.
Academically JSU, which has been dubbed “the friendliest campus in the South”, offers more than 45 degree programs; 63 graduate, post-baccalaureate, doctoral degree programs; and 11 certificate programs in a variety of disciplines that prepare graduates for meaningful careers and ongoing education. The University features six schools on its 459-acre campus - Arts and Humanities; Business and Industry; Education; Nursing and Health Professions; Human Services and Social Sciences; and Science. Most academic programs have discipline-specific accreditations, a reflection of their quality and JSU’s commitment to excellence.
Jacksonville State University invites applications and nominations for the position of Controller beginning Summer 2019.
The Controller, under the supervision of the VP/Chief Financial Officer, is responsible for the primary accounting/financial reporting for the University. The Controller directs, coordinates and oversees the institution’s various financial, accounting and treasury operations. Directs and oversees the operations of the Office of Student Accounts and the Disbursement’s Office to include payroll and accounts payable.
Alan Medders, Ph.D. will be assisting the University with the search. If you have questions or would like to have a confidential conversation about the position, call 256-239-2305 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Jacksonville State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and specifically invites applications from women, minorities, veterans and people with disabilities.
Candidates for this position will be considered through June 15, 2019
· Provides leadership, direction and budget oversight for financial, accounting departments and offices
· Plans, controls, directs and evaluates the University accounting and cash functions and their performance
· Establishes and reports annual strategic plans for areas within the Controller’s responsibility
· Provides direction and assistance to University units regarding accounting and budgeting policies and procedures, implementation of new practices and procedures, and efficient control and utilization of financial resources
· Enhances and/or develops, implements and enforces policies and procedures by way of systems and processes that will improve overall operations, efficiency and effectiveness of University accounting and cash functions
· Exercises broad supervision of unrestricted and restricted fiscal activity to ensure sufficient fiscal controls to safeguard institutional funds while allowing the institution to accomplish its programmatic missions
· Maintains current knowledge of and implements changes based on University policies and procedures, federal policy and directives, and current accounting practices that directly or indirectly impact the University
· Supports and ensures consistency with the University’s mission, goals, strategic plans, policy and procedures; as well as state and federal laws and regulations
· Designs, establishes and maintains an organizational structure and staffing to effectively accomplish the division’s overall goals and objectives
· Directs and oversees the hiring, development, management and evaluation of staff
· Supervises and evaluates professional and classified staff within the unit
· Directs the activities associated with the security/investment of University assets and funds
· Coordinates and reviews the integration of financial data from the Banner system
· Stays current and complies with GASB, ACHE, local, state and federal legislation affecting public sector law
· Interprets and follows procedures outlined in GASB and ACHE publications, Governmental GAAP guide, JSU Policies and Procedures Manual, and Federal Guidelines Manuals
· Serves as a technical resource and provides assistance to administration, staff and other authorized entities, including the annual financial statement
· Assists in the preparation and control of the University budget
· Prepares reports for the Executive Budget Office, ACHE, Alabama Department of Finance and legislature
· Prepares indirect cost rates as appropriate
· Assists in developing student fee amounts and payment policies and procedures
· Reports scholarship activity of international students
· Prepares presentations on topics related to financial management, and speaks to groups of employees
· Serves on various University committees
· Performs other duties as assigned
University policies, rules and regulations, core curriculum and academic standards
Division/Department policies, procedures, functions and related regulation, as well as organizational relationships
University and Division’s mission, goals and expectations
Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel and Power Point) and Adobe Acrobat
Accounting standards and ability to implement new pronouncements
Effective time management skills
Organized, attentive to detail, customer-focused
Excellent interpersonal and strong analytical skills
Monitoring and assessment skills to help ensure necessary enhancements and/or corrective actions are taken
Active listening skills to help ensure the needs of all parties are considered/represented
Quick-thinking and solutions-oriented
Work effectively with diverse populations
Compose a variety of memoranda and correspondence without instruction
Use diplomacy and discretion when giving out information and referring callers/visitors
Meet schedules and deadlines related to the role
Demonstrate flexibility in approaching tasks
Determine work priorities
Develop and maintain professional work relationships with administrators, co-workers, faculty, students and the general JSU community
Collect, assess and report on data related to campus-wide academic enhancement
Prepare and effectively present training programs to the academic community and other large groups
Apply federal, state, JSU and other financial procedures
Qualifications: Master's degree in Accounting or Business Administration; seven years of accounting experience at an institution of higher education; Certified Public Accountant (CPA).
Employer will assist with relocation costs.
About Jacksonville State University
UTPB is home to more than 7,000 students from all over the U.S. and the world, as well as 250 teaching faculty. It offers 35 undergraduate and 18 graduate programs of study across five colleges and schools: College of Arts & Sciences, College of Business, College of Education, College of Engineering and the College of Nursing. The student-teacher ratio is 18/1, and 90 percent of the tenure-track faculty hold doctorates in their teaching fields.