Perform complex and comprehensive work including forecasting, research analysis, trend analysis, financial modeling, PS query management and report writing related to budget preparation and submission. Provide analytical counsel and support for special projects to senior management, the Strategic Budget and Planning Council (SBPC), the RI Council on Postsecondary Education, and the Executive and Legislative branches of RI State Government. Provide ongoing support to the Deans, Directors, college administrators and professional staff. Participate in the compilation, control, and monitoring of the University’s budgets. Prepare and analyze reports on complex project components of the University’s budget. Track expenditures and/or revenues and perform post-audit and other reviews of actual expenditures and/or revenues. Research, develop, evaluate, and formulate modifications and improvements to budgeting policies and financial procedures. Independently evaluate and review complex technical information and prepare comprehensive analyses, plans, and reports on components of the University’s budget.
Develop and implement analytical approaches to decision-making for critical budget proposals at the University level. Assemble and effectively present information in order to assist in decision-making (e.g., development of rubrics to be used by SBPC, analysis and presentation of survey results in various formats, etc.). Design alternative financial support systems for the University. Perform cost analyses. Participate in, coordinate, and assume responsibilities for multiple special, complex, and confidential projects as assigned by the Director or Associate Director.
Research, analyze and prepare ad-hoc analyses/reports, and provide information to senior management, the SBPC, the RI Council on Postsecondary Education, and the Executive and Legislative branches of RI State Government as required.
Provide short- and long-term forecasting, identifying areas of concern and recommending actions to alleviate potential adverse issues. Provide recommendations to be used in final decision-making.
Serve as a liaison and resource in the following capacities: 1) work as liaison and resource to campus community to assess and develop budget reporting needs; 2) serve as liaison and advisor to senior management, University departments and administrators, ensuring adherence to established State, University, and other governing agencies’ financial and position control policies/procedures; 3) as necessary, serve as liaison to the SBPC, the RI Council on Postsecondary Education, and the Executive and Legislative branches of RI State Government.
Research, compile, maintain, review, and revise annual reports for senior management and the RI Council on Postsecondary Education. Participate in the cross-organizational review, definition, and analysis of functional needs, data requirements and sharing procedures. Provide University Computing Systems (UCS) with information regarding decisions, policies, etc., impacting budget management systems.
Develop training manuals and provide campus-wide training to the University’s financial community with regard to the University’s budgeting process, procedures and regulations.
Develop and implement new University-wide reporting protocols and analytical tools.
Responsible for developing PeopleSoft queries to assist in data gathering and processing, and to respond to ad hoc requests from management.
Undertake a variety of technical tasks in support of PeopleSoft Financials; for example, participate in upgrades and associated testing, and engage in the continuing review, definition, and analyses of functional needs, requirements, and business rules and processes associated with the Budget and Financial Planning Office, which might result in the need for system enhancements or modifications.
Participate on various University committees and provide related budgetary, analytical, and technical support.
Represent the Director or Associate Director as required.
Perform additional duties as required, including the duties of other staff positions in the office.
Personal computers and printers; mainframes; word processing, database management and spreadsheet software; calculators.
1. Master’s degree in finance, economics, math, statistics, management or public administration, with three years of demonstrated successful professional experience in financial management in a complex organization and experience in tracking and analyzing revenue and expenditure budgets and actual data, OR a Bachelor’s degree with a major/focus in finance, economics, math, statistics, management, or public administration, with equivalent related quantitative knowledge and skills, and a minimum of five years of demonstrated successful professional experience in financial management in a complex organization and experience in tracking and analyzing revenue and expenditure budgets and actual data in a higher education institution or equivalent organization/industry.
2. Demonstrated knowledge of state government and higher education operations, policies, and procedures.
3. Demonstrated experience with personal computers, including spreadsheet applications.
4. Demonstrated skills in Excel and Access.
5. Demonstrated experience with enterprise resource planning systems (e.g., Oracle, PeopleSoft, Banner).
6. Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills, including the development of complex financial models.
7. Demonstrated technical ability to react to complex ad-hoc requests.
8. Demonstrated ability to provide clear and concise reports on a timely basis.
9. Demonstrated strong verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
10. Demonstrated proficiency in written communication skills.
11. Demonstrated ability to work independently.
12. Demonstrated ability to be detail-oriented.
13. Demonstrated presentation skills.
14. Demonstrated ability to be flexible.
15. Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced work setting.
16. Demonstrated ability to work with diverse groups/populations.
1. Demonstrated knowledge of economic forecasting and simulation methods, econometric and statistical modeling, and data interpretation and processing.
2. Demonstrated programming experience in a Visual Basic environment.
3. Demonstrated experience using the student, human resources, and grant modules of enterprise resource planning systems (e.g., Oracle, PeopleSoft, Banner).
4. Demonstrated experience using statistical software (e.g., SAS, SPSS).
5. Demonstrated experience using predictive modeling.
6. Demonstrated advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel functions, such as pivot tables, v-lookups, and macro development.
7. Demonstrated experience using the financial module of an enterprise resource planning systems (e.g., Oracle, PeopleSoft, Banner).
ALLREQUIREMENTSARESUBJECT TO POSSIBLEMODIFICATION TO REASONABLYACCOMMODATEINDIVIDUALSWITHDISABILITIES.
Internal Number: SF00703
About University of Rhode Island
The University of Rhode Island is the state's flagship institution of higher education, and its only public university. As such, we are uniquely positioned, ready and able to provide innovative ideas, adaptive intelligence and breakthrough research to enhance the lives of the people in our state, nation, and world.
At URI you'll discover a small, beautiful, student-centered learning environment with the resources, research capabilities, and opportunities of a much larger public institution. In other words, we may be a smaller university, but our thinking is big. At URI, you'll find some of the best and brightest entrepreneurs, innovators, and discoverers on our faculty, in our research enterprise, and in our student body.
Our students come from dozens of countries, and wherever you look, from Argentina to Zimbabwe, URI alumni are making a difference around the world. We are expanding international research and partnerships that will further prepare our graduates to contribute to an increasingly globalized economy and society.
And we are growing a community that embraces equity, diversity, and unity, in which students graduate with the capability to work across cultures, la...nguages, lifestyles and traditions, because they have themselves been valued for both their individuality and the cultures they bring with them.
BACK TO TOP
NACUBO Career HQ is Just One of the Benefits.
Discover what else NACUBO Membership has to offer!
The job you are trying to reach from was originally posted at NACUBO Career HQ.