• Reports To: Senior Vice President, Finance & Controller
• Department: Finance - General
• Office Location: Charles Town, WV
• FLSA Status: Exempt
• Date Closing: Open Until Filled
Synopsis of Role:
The Director, Payroll is responsible for providing operational, managerial, and strategic direction for the payroll function of American Public Education Inc. (APEI) and subsidiaries. This role requires the cultivation of a strong, customer-focused environment, with emphasis on driving accurate and timely payroll results, in compliance with state and federal regulations. Processes include payroll administration, all other cash and non-cash compensation processing, W-2 processing, payroll tax filing, staff supervision, audit support and various reporting.
• Evaluates, develops, recommends, and implements payroll policies, processes, and system enhancements designed to improve business processes within the department.
• Analyzes complex transactions, identifies issues, and works with internal operational teams to identify causes, assess risks, and implement plans to eliminate future occurrence.
• Manages all operations related to self-service time and attendance functionality, including training and updates.
• Ensures timely communication of changes to payroll policies, systems, and regulations to employees and customers.
• Maintains current knowledge of, and compliance with, applicable local, state, and federal wage laws and reporting requirements.
• Establishes internal controls to ensure the integrity of personnel and payroll data in all internal and external systems.
• Provides internal communications, training, and guidance on payroll systems.
• Directly supervises the payroll team and provides training and evaluation to enhance performance, development and work product, and establishes a collaborative and supportive team culture built on mutual trust and respect.
• Oversees daily, monthly, quarterly and year-end payroll processes to ensure deadlines and goals are met.
• Ensures team members are sufficiently trained to meet established service standards; cross-trains team members to promote a flexible and adaptable team and limit process failures.
• Maintains policies and procedures, Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) narratives, and training documentation.
• Participates in the monthly, quarterly, and annual financial close process.
• Engages in various audits, including meeting with third party auditors, developing strategies, and preparing documentation.
• Prepares, mails, and maintains the organization’s W2 reporting.
• Ensures accurate and timely payroll tax filings.
• Interacts with various staff, at all levels as required, to meet strategic objectives.
• Conducts research, reporting analysis and special projects as requested.
• Partners with the human resources benefits team to ensure accurate and compliant deductions from employees' wages for taxes, wage garnishment, health and life insurance, flexible spending accounts, and 401k investments.
• Acts as a liaison to other APEI subsidiaries for all payroll administration.
• Performs other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
• Standard office environment in Charles Town, WV.
• Ability to interact with APUS staff and vendors in a positive and professional manner.
• Demonstrated leadership experience (ability to supervise, mentor, train, and develop a team), as well as the ability to manage diverse resources in a deadline-driven environment and create a culture of trust, strong collaboration, and professional development to create a high-performing team.
• Demonstrated leadership skills and the ability to supervise, mentor, train, and develop a team.
• Accurate and efficient in a deadline-driven environment.
• Strong knowledge of applicable payroll taxes, laws and regulations.
• Ability to understand and implement policies and procedures.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Experience working with complex payroll processes and ability to solve problems in an ever changing environment.
• Advanced skills with MS Office Suite.
• Excellent attention to detail.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution, preferably in Business, Accounting, or Finance.
• Experience in managing a large multi-state/multi-company payroll with 2,500+ employees required.
• Minimum of 7-10 years of work experience in payroll.
• Minimum of 5 years management experience.
• Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) Certification from the American Payroll Association preferred.
• Experience with UltiPro preferred
About American Public University System
American Public University System (APUS), wholly owned by APEI (NASDAQ: APEI), operates through American Military University (AMU) and American Public University (APU).Founded in 1991 by a retired Marine Corps officer and instructor, AMU was designed to accommodate the military’s unique educational needs. AMU is the nation’s number one provider of higher education to the U.S. armed forces according to the July 2012 Military Times report based on tuition assistance enrollment data from the Air Force, Army, Army National Guard, Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard.American Public University System is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association. APUS offers affordable tuition while providing the best higher education and distance learning experience possible to its students and is recognized by the Sloan Consortium for best practices in online education.Mission: To provide high quality higher education with emphasis on educating the nation’s military and public service communities by offering respected, relevant, accessible and affordable, student-focused online programs that prepare them for service and leadership in a diverse, global society.