The System Office seeks applicants for the Director of Strategic Budget & Finance position. The incumbent will provide leadership with directing and overseeing financial and administrative operations overseen by the Associate Vice President for AITS and CIO (AVP/CIO) including: serving as an advisor to the AVP/CIO, the AITS leadership team, and AITS staff; developing and implementing administrative policies and procedures; providing complex analysis and planning; and serving as a liaison for financial and administrative matters on behalf of AITS and the office of the CIO. Additional responsibilities include:
1. Direct and coordinate detailed budget preparation for AITS and the office of the CIO. Supervise the budget administration of all units directly reporting to the AVP/CIO. Function as budget officer for the office of the AVP/CIO.
2. Consult with, and provide guidance to, the AITS leadership team about financial and administrative issues and submit recommendations to improve the overall effectiveness and efficiency of AITS operations and services.
3. Provide financial analytical staff support to the AVP/CIO and AITS leadership team including: oversee production of annual and interim reports of overall financial condition; oversee production of AVP/CIO budgets; assist with analysis projects as necessary.
4. Consult with, advise, manage and prepare data, such as organizational studies, special reports, trend and effectiveness analyses, for the AVP/CIO and the AITS leadership team.
5. Analyze and assimilate complex financial and administrative information sets to determine appropriate courses of action for the resolution of issues.
6. Perform annual activity based costing analysis to provide a systematic approach to the budget process, providing ongoing in depth financial analysis, and financial transparency.
7. Develop, maintain, and administer service level agreements and memorandums of understandings with clients for services and space utilization through relationship management, creation of rate models, and billing.
8. Oversee professional staff in the AITS office of Administration and Financial Management including; internal customer service, financial management, human resources, multi-campus procurement, facilities, and physical asset management.
9. Monitor monthly financial statements, create monthly reports, open budget at beginning of fiscal year, and close budget at year end.
10. Participate in strategic planning and annual evaluation for AITS and the office of the CIO.
11. Serve on campus and/or University committees as assigned.
12. Serve as primary liaison to various campus units and administrative offices in providing input related to business and financial issues in AITS.
13. Develop, coordinate, and conduct training classes related to business and finance to ensure AITS staff members are kept informed about compliance issues and about new, and/or revised, policies and procedures.
14. Direct and supervise professional and support staff to facilitate effective administration within AITS including: delegation of duties/responsibilities; prioritizing workloads to ensure deadlines are met and urgent matters are addressed in a timely manner; monitoring productivity; and overseeing progress of short- and long-term unit objectives and goals.
15. Support efforts to effectively manage and monitor compliance with all federal/state/university policies, procedures and practices.
16. Provide leadership and direction with other duties appropriate for the position of Director of Business and Finance.
Candidates must possess a bachelor’s degree (preferably in accounting, business administration, or a related field) with five years’ progressive experience in University of Illinois administration or equivalent experience acquired in a similarly complex organization. Other requirements include: demonstrated leadership skills; outstanding verbal and written communications skills; exceptional interpersonal skills; expertise related to business and financial operations; strong analytical skills; ability to exercise good judgment and discretion; strong computer skills that include report writing software and office productivity software. Master's degree in related field or MBA preferred.
This is a full-time, 12-month Academic Professional position. For full consideration, candidates must apply and submit a letter of application, resume, and names/addresses/phone numbers of three professional references by October 8, 2018 at https://uajobs.hr.uillinois.edu/.
The System Office conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer of employment. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
System Human Resource Services
The System Office is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer dedicated to building a community of excellence, equity and diversity. The System Offices welcome applications from women, underrepresented minorities, individuals with disabilities, protected veterans, sexual minority groups and other candidates who will lead and contribute to the diversification and enrichment of ideas and perspectives.
About University of Illinois
The University of Illinois is the state's best and most comprehensive public university. The three distinct campuses in Urbana-Champaign, Chicago and Springfield serve the people of Illinois through a shared commitment to our missions of excellence in teaching, research, public service and economic development. Online classes offered by the three campuses expand educational opportunities for residents of the state of Illinois and beyond.