The Incumbent will assist in the development of the Libraries’ $27+ million annual operating budget for acquisitions (electronic resources, serials, monographs, etc.) and, with the assistance of one Financial Analyst, provide ongoing monitoring, analysis and reporting.
Oversee, and participate in, the monthly review of all Acquisitions expenditures by account. Manage the monthly expenditure reconciliation between ARC (University Financial System) and Voyager (Library Management System) including the production of a detailed report of the differences as well as a summary exceptions report for senior management. Oversee the processing of expenditure corrections, and/or reconciling entries in Voyager, as needed.
2. Update monthly current estimate changes in ARC based upon input from Collection Development and/or AVP Finance. Process fund code transfers within Voyager as requested by selectors and Collection Development; maintain electronic record of transfers and report quarterly on transfer data; create and update Voyager fund codes as needed. Oversee original allocation entries into Voyager at beginning of fiscal year.
3. Oversee production of various monthly reports including year-to-date actual spending reports to AUL for Collections and AVP Finance; fund reports to selectors integrating ARC and Voyager data, subscription data reports, and other requested reports from senior management.
4. Supervise and coordinate monthly and year-end closing activities including monthly accrual of unprocessed invoices on hand in Acquisitions Accounting Services (AAS), and quarterly accrual of Voyager commitments with status "Received/Complete"; daily monitoring of Voyager/ARC expenses and commitments from mid-May through June; ensure General Income target is met, all in-hand materials with invoices properly accrued and ARC and Voyager are in synch at year-end. Participate in year-end rollover of Voyager.
5. Assist in the development and preparation of the Libraries acquisitions annual operating budget, including submission of the budget through the University's Budget Tool. In collaboration with Assessment and Analytics, analyze historical spending data for trends and patterns in projecting budget estimates. Manage the Budget Management Tool (BMT) used by selectors to assist in decision making and documenting changing priorities for both the current year projection as well as the next fiscal year budget. Using selector data, prepare database for Collection Development and report important trends to management.
7. Review COB (Consolidated Operating Budget) detail monthly and assist in the submission of COB quarterly variance explanations to the University Controller's and Budget Offices for their use in quarterly Trustee's updates. Provide support for selectors, directors and AULs for questions/ issues regarding finance and budgeting, create ad hoc reports as needed. Create reports and participate in financial/ budgeting discussions as needed by the Collections Strategies Team.
Other duties as assigned including leading annual training sessions on budgeting and finance for selectors.
BA/BS degree and at least three years of related work experience
Superior Excel skills
Detail-oriented without losing sight of long-term objectives
Deadline driven with good time management skills
Strong communication and interpersonal skills
Ability to work with staff at all levels with diplomacy.
Financial experience in a university environment
Previous supervisory experience
Familiarity with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
Experience working with PeopleSoft Financials
About Columbia University
As one of the world's leading research universities, Columbia University in the City of New York provides outstanding opportunities to work and grow in a dynamic, multicultural, intellectual community. The Columbia University Libraries comprises a diverse and engaged staff committed to furthering the University's teaching and research mission through innovation, collaboration, and a commitment to excellence.
Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and strongly encourages individuals of all backgrounds and cultures to consider this position.