Financial Analyst Senior – University of Kansas
The University of Kansas seeks a Senior Financial Analyst to work under the direction of the Vice Chancellor and Chief Financial Officer (CFO) to serve as a fiscal leader in providing direction and guidance to multiple campuses and departments to appropriately plan for and implement University-wide budgets, models and projections to assess financial resources and planning. The primary responsibility involves analyzing University-wide budget documents and other specialized financial reports and managing the Chancellor, Business & Financial Planning (BFP), and Risk Management budgets and resource allocation. The Senior Financial Analyst must perform financial analyses and projections in consultation with other university and affiliated corporations’ personnel; and review the University Annual Financial Reports before publication including the affiliated corporations’ individual Annual Financial Reports. The successful candidate must be a self-starter, demonstrate the ability to work independently, and possess a strong history of financial acumen and a high level of accuracy.
Budget and Financial Planning (60%)
- Serves as the lead liaison to coordinate and consult with finance and budget teams for KU-Lawrence and KUMC campuses to ensure that the compilation, analysis and review of the biennial budget documents, tuition proposals, and other financial resource plans are completed; and prepares related summaries, analysis and other background materials.
- Develops, analyzes and prepares comparative and historical analysis of appropriate data in support of the University’s annual budget such as state general fund appropriations, the Governor’s budget, the legislature’s appropriation bill, and other budget and resource data pertaining to the University as a whole.
- Researches and prepares documentation/reports required by the State or Kansas Board of Regents (KBOR); coordinates and reviews the preparation of information requests from KBOR, Legislative Research, and the Budget Division including fiscal notes on proposed legislation.
- Works with the CFO in developing and maintaining budgets for Chancellor’s area; reviews operating budgets of Chancellor, Risk Management, and BFP to ensure expenditures are in compliance with budget; reviews operating budgets to analyze trends affecting budget needs; and ensures proper transactions are handled for the departments by Shared Services personnel.
- Oversees financial reporting for trust accounts with third party trustees.
- Works with senior leadership in developing a strategic model for fiscal operations including but not limited to identifying analytics to complete wide-scale projections of budget and resource implications across multiple campuses and offices. Serves as liaison with other finance offices and assists in resolving problems.
- Maintains working knowledge and assists Assistant Director with university long-term debt financing issues.
Risk Financing (20%)
- Manages and tracks the cost of insurance risk for KBOR, KU, KUMC, and controlled affiliated corporations, including accuracy of asset and income insurable values, ensures prompt payment of premiums, and allocation of costs.
- Coordinates with the offices of Procurement and Risk Management to bid vendor services as needed.
- Ensures that administrative and reporting needs of the Risk Management Office and Director are accomplished in an accurate and timely manner.
Informational Presentations or Reporting (10%)
- Prepares detailed presentations of comprehensive, complex University-wide financial models, plans, and other materials. May present to executive leadership, boards of directors, etc. upon request of the CFO.
- Prepares graphs, charts, etc. for presentations based upon analytic results; and may create and maintain databases.
- Conducts assigned research and prepares data analysis and position papers.
- Researches and assists in the preparation of materials for use by senior executives; prepares related summaries, analysis and other background materials.
Other Financial Reporting and Other duties (10%)
- Reviews the University Annual Financial Report before publication,
- Reviews affiliated corporations’ Annual Financial Reports,
- Designs and interprets financial policies, procedures, and regulations,
- Represents the Chief Financial Officer at meetings or attends meetings in a support function when directed, and
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college in business administration, finance, accounting, or other academic area related to the responsibilities of the position.
- Five years experience in accounting, business management, or related field.
- Experience with microcomputers and their applications including Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Outlook; intermediate to advanced proficiency in Excel spreadsheet software skills to quantify and illustrate routine financial reports, comparisons, impacts, and/or projections as demonstrated by previous work history.
- Effective written and oral communication skills as demonstrated by application materials, interview and references
- CPA Certificate
- Advanced degree
- Knowledge of University accounting and budgeting systems
- Related fiscal management experience in a large university
- Some level of experience with large scale capital financing projects and long-range financial planning
- Demonstrated work history in developing analytical models, projections, reporting, and problem-solving skills.
Contact Information to Candidates: Mary LeGresley,Assistant Director, Business & Financial Planning, email@example.com, (785)864-4749
Advertised Salary Range: $61,580 minimum, contingent on qualifications
Additional Candidate Instruction
A complete application will consist of the on-line application, a cover letter specifying how you meet the minimum and preferred qualifications, a resume with contact information (including email address of three professional references that can attest to your qualifications and work experience).
First review of application is Monday, May 1, 2017 and will continue until a qualified group of applicants is assembled.
To apply: http://employment.ku.edu/staff/8561BR
KU is an EO/AAE. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, national origin, disability, genetic information or protected Veteran status.