Chief Financial Officer, Blue School
Reports to: Head of School,
Broad Scope of Position:
The CFO develops and oversees the financial strategies and operations for Blue School and its related entities in partnership with the Head of School and the Board of Trustees. S/he is a key thought partner in the implementation of the strategic vision for the School. As an instrumental leader, s/he oversees the finance and human resources functions, is a primary board liaison and organizes and facilitates the Board Finance and Audit Committee meetings, oversees the relationship with the school’s financing partners, develops and manages the School’s multi-year financial model and annual budgeting and reporting process, is a key member of School’s leadership team, and serves as a visible community leader, working with parents, teachers, leadership, and Board members on implementing the mission and vision of the School.
- Oversee and manage the financial operations of the school to achieve the strategic goals identified by board and leadership, including managing and developing the business office employees, and interacting directly with the administrative, faculty, and parent communities.
- Facilitate and prepare reports and presentations for the Finance and Audit Committee, Executive Committee and Board Meetings.
- Oversee Human Resources, including benefit programs, policies and practices, organizational structure, salary scale determinations, employee records, and legal compliance.
- Oversee and maintain corporate and legal filings for Blue School entities, and maintain the corresponding archival systems.
- Serve as a member of the Tuition Assistance Committee, providing strategic direction, developing and managing annual TA allocations, recommendations, analysis, and reporting, and serve as the primary liaison with families.
- Oversee and maintain the appropriate insurance for all Blue School corporate entities.
Serve as main point person for real estate and construction financials.
- Oversee and develop the finance and accounting function, financial reporting and financial relationships for all Blue School entities; including the annual audit.
- Develop the internal communication systems to effectively track, analyze, and report admissions and fundraising information in an aligned method amongst departments.
- Serve as the primary liaison for all financing partnerships, overseeing the development of all reporting, and ensure the school is in compliance with the appropriate government entity/issuer or lender.
- Perform additional responsibilities as needed.
Exhibit the following leadership skills:
- Strategic, flexible and creative thinker
- A leader, mentor and teacher to staff
- Sense of humor
- Strong written and oral communication skills with multiple constituents
- Ability to explain financial and controllership issues to non-financial audiences and constituencies
- Open and collaborative management style
- Discretion in financial and personnel matters
- Presentation skills
Education and Experience:
- MBA or CPA preferred
- 3+ years of experience in a CFO or Director of Finance role
- Prior experience in education corporation/school with complex structure (501c3 and/or hybrid preferred)
- Strong background in finance, budgeting, and cash management
- Experience and oversight with diverse financing tools including loans, municipal bonds, contributed income, government programs or private debt financing preferred
- Experience with start-up and/or growth organizations a plus
- Ability to communicate with all constituencies – Board, teachers, staff, and families
- Solid technology skills including Word, Outlook, Excel and database management software
Blue School is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to Educators’ Collaborative Deirdre Ling at firstname.lastname@example.org.