The purpose of this position is to be responsible for a portion of the operating budget of the university. The incumbent will help to maintain a strong working relationship between the Budget Office and the Schools and Accountable units of the University. The incumbent is also responsible for helping in the development of financial procedures for and the processing of financial and budgetary matters of the University.
May also be responsible for acting in a lead or senior capacity over other positions performing essentially the same work or related technical tasks and reporting to a higher level on a formal basis.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
Internal contacts include executives. Administrators and employees from all divisions and departments within the university structure. External contacts include audios, representatives from federal, state and local regulatory agencies and vendors.
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNT ABILITIES:
Consult with units or departments and/or coordinates the preparation of operating budgets based on actual performance, previous budget figures, estimated revenue, expense reports and other factors.
Compare University and departmental expenditures with budget allocations to analyze budgets and recommend approval or approval to management.
Consult with units or departments regarding budget analysis, financial reports, reconciliation, irregular and unusual transactions and problems resolutions.
Confer with department heads and directors with respect to budgetary controls.
Monitor revenue and expense accounts to identify problem accounts.
Research, compile and update budgetary and forecast data for various financial reports.
Coordinate sponsored program administration and budget with the sponsored program office.
Coordinate and disseminate information to faculty and staff on potential research opportunities and funding sources.
Compile data for the preparation of various reports of research grant/contract activities involving moderately complex statistical compilations and thorough understanding of departmental policies and procedures.
Seek techniques to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
Understands business implications decisions; Displays orientation to profitability; Aligns work with strategic goals.
Works within approved budget; Develops and implements cost saving measures; Conserves organizational resources.
Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; Promotes harassment-free environment.
Treats individuals with respect; Keep commitments; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
Follows policies/procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; Supports organization’s goals and values.
- Knowledge of analytical budgetary accounting.
- Knowledge of the budgeting cycle and process.
- Ability to prepare comprehensive complex financial and budget reports.
- Ability to formulate comprehensive budget planning processes
- Ability to develop and intermediate knowledge of PeopleSoft
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and harmonious work relations with faculty, staff, students and customers.
- Ability to collect and research data; Use intuition and experience to complement data
- Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problems solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with poignant topics.
- Intermediate knowledge of MS Word, Outlook and Excel
- Intermediate knowledge of Internet Explorer