Delaware State University Vacancy Announcement - Vice President for Finance Division of Finance Apply online at www.desu.edu Applications will be accepted until position is filled
Delaware State University has a long and proud history as one of America’s Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs). It has a blend of both long-standing traditions and growing diversity. Founded in 1891, DSU takes pride in its heritage as one of the country’s first land grant educational institutions, rooted early on in agriculture and education.
With a changing world comes a changing campus, and DSU prepares its students for the global challenges of the new millennium and beyond. The University is a welcoming center of learning for people from many cultural backgrounds who speak several different languages and dialects. DSU is a melting pot for education, and after graduation – wherever life takes them – DSU students are truly “making their mark on the world.”
DSU’s focus on cutting-edge research, technology, and business practices have brought the University into modernity and made it a member of the scientific, solution-seeking community. Today it remains well in the vanguard of other four-year institutions throughout the region and country.
Delaware State University currently offers 42 undergraduate degree options. It also offers 16 master’s degree programs and five doctoral degree programs in areas such as interdisciplinary applied mathematics/mathematical physics and educational leadership. It’s worth noting that the University is the leading producer of teachers of color in the state, commercial pilots of color in the country and holds the only accredited Social Work program in Delaware. We have leading degree programs across many disciplines
Additionally, the University’s nearly 5,000 students are taught by more than 200 faculty members, of which 87% hold Ph.Ds. or terminal degrees in their field of study, across 19 academic departments.
General Description of the Job
Delaware State University invites applications and nominations for the position of Vice President for Finance and the Chief Finance Officer. The University seeks candidates who have a proven, quantifiable record of complex financial management in higher education or comparable organization. The CFO will provide strategic and tactical leadership for the financial operations of Delaware State University, ensuring the fiscal integrity of the institution. He or she will oversee and manage the day-to-day fiscal operations of the University, including budget, payroll, accounting, accounts payable/receivable, purchasing, contracting, fiscal planning, banking, investment reporting, procurement, and cash management. The successful candidate will embrace the University’s core values and have a clear commitment to the following.
• A well-established commitment to customer service that is transferable in a post-secondary environment and focused on the end-users -- students and their families;
• A staffing leadership record of motivating diverse teams and integrating people and processes to meet a specific set of performance guidelines along with the operations and business process skills to execute course corrections when necessary;
• A core belief in diversity and inclusion, with a focus on access to higher education for all, particularly the traditionally underrepresented or underserved.
The following are the key responsibilities essential to performing this job.
1. Oversees and manages the day-to-day fiscal operations of the University, including budget, payroll, accounting, accounts payable/receivable, purchasing, contracting, fiscal planning, banking, investment reporting, procurement, and cash management.
2. Prepares and maintains the University's operating and capital budget.
3. Collaborates with the President and senior leadership team in developing the budgeting process reflective of the strategic plan; assists the senior team in setting budget priorities and in effectively allocating resources.
4. Coordinates financial planning and reporting systems.
5. Monitors the University's budget and financial activities including revenue streams, collections, investment, disbursement, accounting and reporting.
6. Develops and implements short and long-term budgetary strategic and sustainable planning efforts and revenue models to support campus growth and the ultimate priority of serving our students and promoting their success.
7. Oversees a business operation and staff that foster service quality, efficiency, timeliness and accountability; nurturing an atmosphere of support, engagement, advocacy and collaboration amongst the Finance team.
8. Instills a culture of fiscal discipline and financial accountability throughout the University.
9. Provides financial oversight for major capital/construction projects.
10. Responds to audit inquiries.
11. Responsible for the preparation of the University's financial statements.
12. Assesses current business practices, implementing new and creative ways as needed to assure integrity while reducing manual work and enhancing efficiency
13. Develops standards by which to measure progress of the Finance Division.
14. Ensures financial and business policies, processes and services are developed and executed to advance the strategic mission of the University in accordance with federal, state and University guidelines.
15. Serves as the University's fiscal liaison to state agencies.
16. Advocates the financial needs of Delaware State University.
17. Executes major negotiated contracts.
18. Performs other relevant duties as assigned by the President.
All applicants must complete the online application process on the University website for full consideration. Please upload the following documents when applying online:
• Cover letter addressing the intent for consideration;
• Resume; and
• Contact information for three references
Compensation: Competitive compensation and benefits package
Direct inquiries to:
Irene C. Hawkins
Vice President Human Resources
Delaware State University
1200 North Dupont Highway
Dover, DE 19901
Note: The University reserves the right to change or reassign job duties as provided in policy and negotiated agreements.
Delaware State University is an equal opportunity, Title IX Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, marital status, age or disability.
Minimum Qualification Standards
1. Education: Master's degree or higher in finance, accounting, business administration, public administration or related field; must possess a CPA license. Strong fiscal experience in higher education a plus.
2. Successful experience: A minimum of seven progressive years with senior executive experience in a finance-based position. Preferably experience in a higher education setting or an organization of comparable complexity.
3. Must have proven experience in managing a $125 million budget or more.
4. A proven track record of innovation and management in developing progressive business policies and practices
5. Successful experience in managing financial staff to reach goals and objectives
6. Record of significant leadership and accomplishment in planning, managing and implementing business and financial systems
7. Other preferences: Knowledge of and experience with the Delaware state government and legislature a plus
Additional Salary Information: Full benefits to include health, dental, and State of DE pension
DELAWARE STATE UNIVERSITY
Delaware State University is a public, comprehensive, 1890 land-grant institution that offers access and opportunity to diverse populations from Delaware, the nation, and the world. Building on its heritage as a historically black college, the University purposefully integrates the highest standards of excellence in teaching, resea...rch, and service in its baccalaureate, master’s and doctoral programs. Its commitment to advance science, technology, liberal arts, and the professions produces capable and productive leaders who contribute to the sustainability and economic development of the global community.
As one of America’s most highly respected Historically Black Colleges and Universities, Delaware State University will be renowned for a standard of academic excellence that prepares our graduates to become the first choice of employers in a global market and invigorates the economy and the culture of Delaware and the Mid-Atlantic Region.
• Community • Integrity • Diversity
• Scholarship • Outreach
President: Dr. Harry L. Williams
Institution Type: Publicly assisted, 1890 Land Grant, Comprehensive
Location: Situated on approximately 400 acres adjacent to U.S. Highway 13 in Dover, DE
Address: 1200 N. Dupont Highway, Dover, Delaware 19901
Degrees Awarded: Bachelor of Arts, Science, Social Work and Nursing;
Master of Arts, Science, Business Administration, and Social Work; EdD, PhD
Colors: Columbia Blue and Red
Athletic Conference: Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC)
Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE)
Accreditation Commission for Programs in Hospitality Administration (ACPHA)
Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB)
Commission on Accreditation for Dietetics Education (CADE)
Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE)
Council on Social Work Education (CSWE)
National League for Nursing Accreditation Commission (NLNAC)
National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)
CERTIFICATIONS AND AFFILIATIONS:
American Association of Colleges of Teacher Education (AACTE)
Association of American Colleges and Universities (AAC&U)
American Council of Education (ACE), member
Association of Governing Boards (ACG), member
Association of Public and Land Grant Universities (APLU), member
American Chemical Society
College Board, member
Council of 1890 Presidents/Chancellors, member
Delaware State Department of Education (Teacher Education Program)
Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA)
National Association for Equal Opportunity in Higher Education, member